Contestant No. 32, Celine Thum, strongly supports 17 Sustainable Development Goals by United Nations, endorsing item 15: Life and Land
1. Name: Celine Thum
2. Born in USA
3. Education: BA in. Chemistry, BS in Statistics and Operations Research, UIC Honors College Graduate, Doctorate of Medicine from Rush Medical College, Board Certified Emergency Physician
4. Job: Emergency Physician
5. 5'4 130 lbs, measurements: 36-27-36
6. The daughter of a ballerina and statistician, Dr. Celine Thum is an Emergency Physician at a Level 1 Trauma Center in New York City, doctor for professional combat and motor sport athletes, community leader, violinist, and first-born Chinese-Malaysian from Chicago, IL.
7. Prior to her medical career, Dr. Thum was a USA Badminton Junior National medalist, Midwest Champion, coach, and umpire, and went to Beijing Olympics 2008 with teammates.
In Chicago, she was very active in the Asian American Community, serving as the Vice President of the Malaysian Club of Chicago in 2011 and is recipient of the Asian American Coalition of Chicago Community Service Award and the IL Secretary of State Jesse White Humanitarian Award.
8. Though she has many accomplishments and awards for violin playing and has played for presidents and prime ministers, she is most proud of the ability to use music to bring people together and heal. In medical school, Dr. Thum founded Rush Harmony, a program where medical professionals would play for patients and she continues to play today for medical charity all over the world as a member of the World Doctors Orchestra.
9. Dr. Thum's career in medicine equally reflects the diversity of her life interests. She has worked at the ABC News Medical unit, in Sydney AUS for the experience of treating poisonous snake and spider bites, taught tactical combat casualty care to Italian special forces military, led medical missions after natural disasters, and can be seen on TV as a ringside physician for professional boxing and MMA matches. She is the Director of Emergency Ultrasound at the largest level 1 trauma center in Queens, NY, and the Chief Medical Officer of ParaDocs Worldwide, a company that provides on-site medical services at large events. In 2020, Dr. Thum's crisis leadership skills and resilience were put to the test as her hospital was at the epicenter of the COVID pandemic.
10. This year, in addition to fighting in the frontlines of the pandemic, she is excited to bring her trauma and critical care expertise to 4 continents with the Extreme-E Electric SUV racing circuit, the first sport built out of concern for the climate crisis with a goal of a net-zero carbon footprint by the end of its first season.